Friday, March 29, 2013

Book Review: Book One: The Rise of Bob McDoogal by J.M. Gutierrez

Book Synopsis:

Bob McDoogal is the name, and sex, food, and making fun of EVERYTHING (even in the face of danger) is his game. Born with Cerebral Palsy and a speech impairment, watch him as he transforms into the verses first A.D.D. inflicted anti-superhero! He, along with his beautiful girlfriend Lusha, find out the meaning of life, kill aliens the way only they can, and travel the galaxies far and wide.

Excerpt (Edited for Language):

A scream comes from behind me. I turn and spot Lusha lying on the ground. Fire erupts from the depths of my stomach and rage engulfs me.
With blind fury, I speed to each alien and shove my arm through some, while I decapitate others. I run to her once I’m done.

“Lusha, baby, talk to me.” Please… Please… Oh, God. A wooden stake protrudes from her.

Wonder if the Type One will heal her if I pull it out? I grab the protrusion and pull. She moans.

“God baby, I’m sorry, I thought you wouldn’t feel that.”

For the first time in a while, I cry. Why won’t she answer? Oh crap… Oh…

“Your blood…,” she whispers. She… What? “Blood Bond…”

“You want my blood? What if it doesn’t…?”

“I think… Hurry…”

Let her bleed out, or kill her with my blood? What a choice. Here goes… I bite a chunk from my wrist and rub my open wound on hers, allowing our blood to mix.
Author Bio:
Juan Gutierrez is a 27 year old living in Dallas, Texas. He grew up in Torrance, California. He is a Fantasy/Science Fiction writer. Inspired both Star Wars and Star Trek, he is determined to make a Galaxy Cluster all of his own. In 2012, he began his work on the character Bob McDoogal. Think The Mask with Jim Carrey (another major influence), mixed with Star Wars. That is the best way to describe his Dark humor Science Fiction Fantasy writing. He is currently working on book two of the series, aiming to have it done by the close of 2013. 
My Review:
First and foremost, Bob Mcdoogal is an 18+ book.  It may be a 21+ book. So if you are offended by kinky, weird, bloody, alien sex or foul language, just skip the rest of this review because this book is not for you. This book IS for someone who wants to laugh out loud. This book is for someone who wants something out of the norm and that you're not going to find anywhere else. It's for people who root for the underdog and aren't surprised when they don't win.
The Rise of Bob Mcdoogal takes us on a journey of  an eighteen-year-old boy afflicted with cerebral palsy.  His life totally sucks. Then by luck, he gets killed. Oh, that's not the lucky part. He then gets resurrected by the oh-so-fine, Lusha who is a mutant and turns him into one, too. What follows is a funny, sexy, good vs. evil (and sometimes you're not certain which is which), action adventure in several galaxies.
You have to be willing to suspend your idea of known physics and other commonly believed scientific theories to enjoy this book. You can't go in thinking it's all going to make sense and there will be the typical "ah-ha, this is what it's all about" moment. You have to read this book for the fun of it.
So, to recap, If you are easily offended by gratuitous sex and language, read this book. Because I think it would be feakin' hilarious to watch you do it. Just kidding...maybe. For real, if you have even the tiniest of funny bones in your body, Bob Mcdoogal will make you laugh until is fractures. But only if you're old enough to vote...or drink.
E.M. Havens
Buy this book:
Amazon

No comments:

Post a Comment